Wednesday, September 5, 2007

by Betsy at Gray Matters Matter
Posted on September 4, 2007



Tomorrow will be my son’s last first day of second grade.

It got me thinking about the bittersweet feelings that accompany every new chapter of our children’s lives.

The last first word they’ll every say.

The last first step they’ll ever take.

Usually these moments fill us with such unimaginable pride that we don’t realize until later, sometimes much much later, that there’s also a little sadness in the finality of those moments.

Tomorrow my son starts second grade.

Last night I laid in bed restless, anxious and sad.

I played my “movie montage” of his life, our lives as a family, in my head, from his first breath to him dominating my husband at video games last night.

I needed to feel close to him, like I wasn’t losing him. So I did something I haven’t done in a very long time, I went into his bed and snuggled him while he was sound asleep. Read more...

No comments: