Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Invisibility

by Andrea at a garden of nna mmoy
Posted on August 13, 2007

There is a really cute guy who works in my building. Tall, sandy ginger hair, nice features, broad shoulders, slim. And he doesn't have arms. He has hands, but his arms are about eight inches long, maybe a bit shorter. I see him around, normally buying muffins from the muffin shop in the underground mall.

I imagine if one day we struck up a conversation, he would want neither for his obvious difference to be ignored ("Can you pass me a napkin, please?") nor would he want it to be front and centre ("and look at you! How do you cope? You poor thing, I could never do it"). It would just be there, a part of him, but not all of him. He's probably proud of some of the adjustments he's made and how he's sorted his life: born without arms, at a not insignificant natural disadvantage, but there he is, eating a muffin at his desk just like everybody else. Read More...

No comments: